Monday, June 27, 2011

"Fiesta sa Barra"

Today is June 27,2011 my first fiesta celebration in Barra Cagayan de Oro City in Mindanao. I don't know what is the Barrio's history but my husband told me about the myth of Cagayan de Oro City where it's name first began. I will write here the story he told me earlier before I came here in the City.: "There was a man who owns a church beside the river. He had a pet which was very unusually big and unknown fish breed. It was very long, had golden color, and its body was located beneath the City including the church building. It was very large they say. The man was always feeding this creature everyday so it got bigger and bigger. Days passed everybody knew about it so they called the creature "ORO", a spanish word. I also made a research about this word-

oro-1

a combining form meaning “mountain,” used in the formation of compound words: orography.
Origin:
< Greek,  combining form of óros

oro-2

a combining form meaning “mouth,” used in the formation of compound words: oropharynx.
Origin:
combining form representing Latin ōs,  stem ōr-
Anyway they called the City "The City of Golden Friendship" which means by myth, the golden color of the creature, and also means most people here in the City are very friendly.
 If you want to know more about Cagayan de Oro City and it's complete history you can click here
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment